Saturday, July 10, 2010

Feeling Princely

There are so many pages turned down in my copy of the Half-Blood Prince to mark the lines I liked. More than the other books, so it's hard to be selective, but I've decided to pick a only er a few to share.
[About Harry's popularity]'And it doesn't hurt that you've grown about a foot over the summer, either,' Hermione finished, ignoring Ron. 'I'm tall,' said Ron inconsequentially.
Rowling has a knack for picking exactly the right word to describe tone and the way things are done. I think I said that in the last post, but I can so easily imagine Ron saying that. And I love how quietly amusing the books are. There's not really much that would make you laugh out loud, but there's plenty of lines that have me chuckling to myself.
He did not usually lie in bed reading his textbooks; that sort of behaviour, as Ron rightly said, was indecent in anybody except Hermione, who was simply weird that way.
Good old Hermione. I love that about her. And she doesn't even care that everyone thinks that.
'It's not my fault she's barking mad Hermione. Or d'you think she overheard you being rude about Filch? I've always thought there might be something going on between them...'
I love it when the kids discuss something other than the year's big mystery, or Voldemort. When you get a glimpse of when they're just being completely normal teenagers. I also love that later on in the book, at the funeral, Rowling specifically mentions that Madam Pince and Filch were standing together in the hall.
[Harry]:'I want to find McLaggen and kill him.' 'I'm afraid that would come under the heading of "over exertion",' said Madam Pomfrey.
I love it when the staff are funny. That is all.
'I am not worried Harry,' said Dumbledore, his voice a little stronger, despite the freezing water. 'I am with you.'
What a compliment. Not much to say, except that I dog eared the page as soon as I read that line.
'DON'T --' screamed Snape, '-- CALL ME COWARD!'
So before book seven this made me dislike Snape more, but now this whole section makes me respect him more (not really like him though). He's just had to kill Dumbledore and commit himself to Voldemort indefinitely and Harry runs after him, taunting him and he's absolutely beside himself. It's quite um...an intense situation for him.
And that is all. Sorry, there turned out to be more than I thought. But still, that's about a quarter of the quotes I had marked, which is about half the quotes I mentally mark.
One more to go, ('thank goodness' I hear you say), and then I can return to posting about some things which are a bit more relevant, perhaps.

No comments: